Modification of Child Support

Our Lawyers Can Help You With Your Child Support Issues

North Carolina courts apply two different standards when determining a modification of child support, depending on whether the original child support amount was set forth in a private Separation Agreement or in a court order.

If child support is agreed upon by the parties in a Separation Agreement, the party who wants to modify support must show the amount of support necessary to meet the "reasonable" needs of the child(ren) during the hearing. The amount agreed upon by the parties is presumed to be reasonable, but is only one factor to be considered at a hearing.

However, if a court order for child support is to be modified, the party must show "a substantial and material change in circumstances." The moving party has a higher burden to show the court that a change is necessary.

Common Reasons For The Modification Of Child Support

  • Change in income of one or both parties
  • Child(ren)'s needs have changed
  • Change in residences

Contact Us To Discuss Your Need For Modification Of Child Custody

Let us help you modify your child support agreement. Call us at 704-533-8636 or use the email form to request an opportunity to meet with an attorney as soon as possible.